Monday 5 January 2015

French Note 6 " How to use " Ce que"




French note 6

Now I am going to deal with use of  " ce que ".

Suppose you say , " I want a house " . It is a simple sentence.  You can convey the meaning of this sentence in another way.

What I want , it is a house .
Or
What I want is a house.

Je veux une maison.

Ce que je veux , c'est une maison.

So ," ce que"  is used as an object  of the verb , " veux ". Moreover, " ce que " which comes at the beginning of the sentence is used without an antecedent .( that means there is nothing before , " ce que" in the sentence.)


Take another sentence ,

Children don't like what their fathers bought .

How to express the above sentence in French ?

Les enfants n' aiment pas ce que leur père ont acheté .

Observe the following phrase

She got good marks in maths which her father wanted.

Elle a reçu de bonnes notes , ce que son père  a voulu.

In the above sentences, the antecedent of " ce que " itself is a sentence or a clause.

( Antecedent means something which precedes or comes before)

As in the case of " ce qui " , " ce que " is also used in the transformation of questions into
Indirect speech.

When the question is of the form , " qu'est -ce que " , we use "ce que"in indirect speech.

Observe the following examples

Elle me demande , " Qu'est -ce que vous voulez ? "

She asks me , " What  do you want ? "

Elle me demande ce que je veux.

She asks me what I want.

Pierre demande à Jean , " Qu'est-ce que tu fais ? "

Peter asks John , " What are you doing ? "

Pierre demande à Jean ce qu'il fait.

Peter asks John what he is doing .

Mon père me demande, " Qu'est -ce que tu as dit à votre prof.? "

My father asks me, " What did you tell your teacher ? "

Mon père me demande ce que j'ai dit à mon prof.

My father asks ma what I told my teacher.


I hope things are clear now.

Happy learning .

Bonne journée !

Sayee Jayaraman

4/01/2015
Note:
We look forward to your comments and suggestions. Please do post them below as it will be an encouragement to improve our daily presentation of topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment