Tuesday 28 July 2015

French Expression 10 " du coup " - so, therefore



French Expression 10 " du coup " - so, therefore"

Informal Expression!

Have you noticed that when French nationals speak , they very often use the expression " du coup" at the beginning of a sentence. What does it mean ? Simple ! It means so, therefore, consequently , hence  and so on.  There is another word for it " donc". But I hear more of  " du coup" and less of " donc ". Go through the following examples.

Je suis fatigué . Du coup, je ne vais pas au bureau.

I am tired. So , I am not going to the office.

Il pleut à verse. Du coup, je peux pas du tout sortir .

It is pouring. Therefore, I can not at all go out.

Elle a oublié son porte- monnaie . Du coup, je lui ai prêté de l'argent .

She forgot her purse. So , I lent her money .

There are several idiomatic expression in French containing the word " coup " . In course of time, I will deal with each of them.

Il y a beaucoup d'expressions contenant le mot " coup". Si je les explique d'un seul coup, vous vous ennuierez . Du coup, je m'arrête .

There are many expressions containing thé word " coup". If I explain all of them in one go,you will get bored. So, I stop myself.

À bientôt !

T.K. Jayaraman
29/07/2015
Bangalore


No comments:

Post a Comment