Tuesday 17 February 2015

FRENCH NOTE 45

FRENCH NOTE 45

VERB + À + INFINITIVE OF ANOTHER VERB

Let us continue with five more verbs today with just one example for each.

 1. CONSENTIR  À  - accept / agree to do something

Mon patron a consenti à assister au mariage de ma fille.

My boss agreed to attend my daughter's wedding.

2. CONTINUER À - continue to do something

Elle continue à parler sans m'écouter .

She continues talking without listening to me.

She continues to talk without listening to me.

She goes on talking without listening to me.

There are several ways to say it in English.

3. CONTRIBUER À - contribute in

Le secteur du service contribue beaucoup à augmenter les produits bruits de notre pays.

The service sector contributes much in augmenting the gross product of our country.

Remember that the French preposition  may not be exactly the same as that of English. So avoid literal translation.


4. DEMANDER À -  Request to do something

Mon ami m'a demandé à amener mes enfants chez lui.

My friend requested me to bring my children to his place.


5. ENCOURAGER À - encourage to do something

Le professeur encourage ses élèves à écrire des poèmes.

The teacher encourages his students to write poems.

We shall continue in the next post.

Happy learning

Sayee Jayaraman

08/02/2015

18/02/2015


  

No comments:

Post a Comment