Wednesday 4 February 2015

FRENCH NOTE 32. " DESCENDRE " - CONTINUATION

French Note 32

Continuation of  "Descendre"

This is in continuation of my earlier note 31 on the same word. In that note , I gave many examples to show how and in what sense the verb is used under different contexts . Kindly notice in all those examples the verb " descendre" , will be conjugated with " etre" . The verb " descendre" in those  examples are used intransitively. In other words, the verb does not have an object . This is an important point.


This verb can be used transitively also. In such cases , you will find the verb taking a direct object. Then the conjugation will be with , " avoir". Remember this.  A favorite verb for the examiners.

Now please go through the following examples.

1. Descendre --- bring down something or someone/lower

Il a descendu  du vin à la cave.

He brought down  the wine to the cellar.

Le siège est très haut . Descendez - la un peu.

The seat is very high.  Lower it  a little.

2. Descendre-   To drop somebody or take someone to another place.

Je peux vous descendre  á la gare de Bangalore .

I can drop you at Bangalore Railway Station.

Elle a descendu son fils  à l'école .

She dropped her son to the school.

3. Descendre  - to shoot down, to knock down

L'armée de l'air  a descendu un avion ennemi .

The air force shot down an enemy aircraft .

Le boxeur a descendu son adversaire au deuxième round.

The boxer knocked down his opponent in the second round.

4. Descendre - to kill someone ( informal usage)

Ce voyou a descendu sa copine.

That brat killed his girl friend.


5. Descendre -  down liquor   ( informal use)

Il a descendu  beaucoup de whiskey .

He downed too much whiskey.


6. Descendre -  to slam an author or film ( informal)

On a descendu Eric Zemmour  pour son dernier livre, " Le Suicide français "

Eric Zemmour was slammed for his latest book , "  Le Suicide français "


My notes on this verb are over. One member said that she gets confused on seeing the various ways of usage of the verb. My advice is that please take time to assimilate whatever I pen down here. I take lots of pain to make things easier. I am not sure if I am fulfilling my own objectives. But I am striving earnestly to do a good job. Moreover, the learner should have some background of French before he / she goes through these notes. Otherwise , they will be as dull as ditchwater .


Some people have trouble with French articles. My next posts will deal with them. But my main aim was to cover verbs exhaustively  which surely I would subsequently. There are other topics also. God willing , I shall take them up. Sometimes Facebook app in my iPad
puts a dampener on me as it fails to upload or download .Please notify errors if any.



Happy learning.

Sayee Jayaraman
19/12/2014
05/02/2015











No comments:

Post a Comment